Amarillo Chiropractor Highlights A Comparison of Combined Approach to Acute Low Back Pain
Chiropractor in Amarillo weighs in on the topic
"Being a chiropractor in Amarillo, while mostly pleasant, does not come without its challenges" says Dr. Jeff Williams, a chiropractor in Amarillo TX. He adds, "It is still relatively uncommon for a family doctor or clinic to make a regular practice of sending non-complicated spinal pain patients to a chiropractor as a first-line treatment rather than resorting to physical therapy or pain pills and muscle relaxors."
This study was held in the UK in 2011 so the information is fairly recent. This study makes mention of a “stratified” primary care management protocol. This term is used to describe the use of alternative treatment (manual therapy). As one reads through this paper, it would be appropriate to replace the word “stratified” with alternative treatments or manual therapy.
How They Did It
Dr. Jeff Williams, Amarillo Chiropractor, says the authors were well aware that back pain remains a significant challenge for primary practitioners to treat and manage. They were also aware of the fact that co-management of back pain among primary practitioners and alternative therapies had yet to tested by them.
How They Did It
- Between combined treatment and non-combined, they compared effectiveness of treatment with the cost of the treatment.
- They used 1573 adults over the age of 18 with either radiating symptoms or without.
- They were randomly placed into one of the two groupsThey used the Roland Morris Disability Questionnaire to assess the condition at the 12-month mark.
What Did They Find?·
- Overall, the scores were “significantly higher in the intervention group than in the control group” at 4 months and at 12 months. ·
- At the 12 month mark, the combined care model showed an increase in “generic health benefit” AND “cost savings” when compared with the control group.
Wrap It Up
When properly screened and treated, a combined approach to treatment of acute low back pain “will have important implications for the future management of back pain in primary care
- Hill JC, W.D., Lewis M, , Comparison of stratified primary care management for low back pain with current best practice (STarTBack): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 2011. 378: p. 1560-71.
Consistently voted one of the best chiropractors in Amarillo TX, Dr. Jeff Williams, DC, FIANM is a Fellowship-trained Neuromusculoskeletal specialist and chiropractor in Amarillo, TX. As an Amarillo chiropractor, Dr. Williams treats chronic pain, disc pain, low back pain, neck pain, whiplash injuries, and more. Dr. Williams is also the host of The Chiropractic Forward Podcast. Through the podcast, Dr. Williams teaches fellow chiropractors and advocates weekly for evidence-based, patient-centered practice through current and relevant research. If you have any questions for Dr. Williams, feel free to email at [email protected]
Learn more about Dr. Williams and his practice at https://www.amarillochiropractor.com. Dr. Williams's full-time Amarillo chiropractic practice is Creek Stone Integrated Care at 3501 SW 45th St., Ste. T, Amarillo, TX 79109
Be sure to read other articles on our blog such as:
Sometimes Living In Pain Is A Choice
Breaking Up With Your Doctor!