Amarillo Chiropractor Says Try Chiropractic Care For Long-term Pain
Chiropractor in Amarillo discusses the research
Why They Did It
Amarillo chiropractor, Dr. Jeff Williams, says the authors of this paper wanted to find out the efficacy of medication, acupuncture, and spinal manipulation in long-term (chronic) conditions. As you know from reading my blogs or listening to my Chiropractic Forward Podcast, ( www.chiropracticforward.com ) chronic pain is a beast to treat.
Chronic pain is defined as pain experienced at least 50% of the days for 6 months. I know a large number of our chiropractic patients here in our Amarillo chiropractic office that fit that category and the sad truth is that some will never completely get rid of that pain.
Especially if they are attending treatment with a chiropractor in Amarillo (or elsewhere) with little to no experience with chronic pain.
How They Did It·
- The study was a randomized clinical trial. ·
- The study took place at Townsville’s General Hospital from 1999-2001.·
- The study ran for 9 weeks.·
- 69 subjects were treated by the various protocols. ·
- They were assessed and followed-up on a full year after treatment was concluded. ·
- The Outcome Assessments used were Oswestry Back Pain Index, Neck Disability index, Short-Form-36, and Visual Analogue Scale.
What They Found·
- For the spinal manipulation group, there was absolute efficacy shown in the Outcome Assessment measurements. ·
- For chiropractic treatment, there was a broad-based long-term benefit in 5 of the 7 outcome measures. ·
- There was only ONE outcome measure showing efficacy in the acupuncture and in the medication group.
Wrap It Up
“In patients with chronic spinal pain syndromes, spinal manipulation, if not contraindicated, may be the only treatment modality of the assessed regimens that provides broad and significant long-term benefit
Dr. Jeff Williams, DC, FIANM is a Fellowship-trained Neuromusculoskeletal specialist and chiropractor in Amarillo, TX. As an Amarillo chiropractor, Dr. Williams treats chronic pain, disc pain, low back pain, neck pain, whiplash injuries, and more. Dr. Williams is also the host of The Chiropractic Forward Podcast. Through the podcast, Dr. Williams teaches fellow chiropractors and advocates weekly for evidence-based, patient-centered practice through current and relevant research. If you have any questions for Dr. Williams, feel free to email at [email protected]
Learn more about Dr. Williams and his practice at https://www.amarillochiropractor.com. Dr. Williams's full-time Amarillo chiropractic practice is Creek Stone Integrated Care at 3501 SW 45th St., Ste. T, Amarillo, TX 79109